[Xorg] DRI merging

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 12:13:43 PDT 2004

--- Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> You have no solution to non 3D heavy cards, you have no solution to
> non-Linux hardware platforms. Most of your linux ideas have been thrown
> out repeatedly as half-baked on multiple lists.
>
> mesa-solo is a *research* project. If it works out then in two years
> time its going to be rather cool. In the mean time trying to stop people
> doing important work to cripple what you perceive as a rival is just
> wrong.

I don't know why I continue to waste my time on this project. The MS Longhorn UI
is clearly a generation better than anything available on Linux. Right now Linux
is starting to get a foothold on the desktop. All of the desktop effort will be
wasted if Linux has an obviously inferior UI for several years and Linux's
desktop acceptance backslides during that period. Of course things might easily
go the other way if Linux beats or ties MS's GUI efforts.

So if my ideas are so bad, why don't you propose your own solution to the
Longhorn problem? I have no attachment to anything I've proposed, I'll work on
any solution that solves the main problem.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com