[Xorg] DRI merging

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jun 13 09:42:42 PDT 2004

On Sul, 2004-06-13 at 16:34, Jon Smirl wrote:
> The Microsoft Longhorn UI is going to trounce Linux on the desktop if we don't
> get to work on a response. Getting mesa-solo running everywhere wouldn't take
> two years if more people would pitch in and quit arguing. Right now we should
> have a working xserver/mesa-solo this summer, even sooner if there was more
> help.

This isn't relevant to the Xorg server.

> need to do is pull everything together.  xserver on GL is an architecture that
> will be good for at least another ten years while the current XAA architecture
> is close to the end of it's life.

You have no solution to non 3D heavy cards, you have no solution to
non-Linux hardware platforms. Most of your linux ideas have been thrown
out repeatedly as half-baked on multiple lists.

mesa-solo is a *research* project. If it works out then in two years
time its going to be rather cool. In the mean time trying to stop people
doing important work to cripple what you perceive as a rival is just
wrong.