[Xorg] Multihead setup with "nv" and "sis" drivers

Nils Breunese breun at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 9 12:23:45 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm running Fedora Core 2 with xorg-x11 6.7.0-3 and two videocards. I
upgraded from Fedora Core 1 (which had XFree86 instead of X.org) in
which I had a dual monitor setup using two videocards: an AGP nVidia
GeForce4 MX 440 and a PCI SiS 6326 card. Because the current Fedora Core
2 kernels are incompatible with the binary drivers from nVidia, I'm
currently using the "nv" and the "sis" driver from X.org.

However, I don't seem to be able to use both monitors at the same time
anymore. When I upgraded to X.org I got an error that no screen could be
opened. After looking around in /var/log/Xorg.0.log I found maybe I had
to set a value for the PixMap Option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, so I added
this my xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option "PixMap" "32"
EndSection

After adding this X would start again, but only on the nVidia display,
the monitor connected to the SiS card stayed black. After checking
/var/log/Xorg.0.log again I changed the value for the PixMap option to
24. After restarting X now I had my SiS display working, but the nVidia
display stayed black. Apparently the "nv" driver doesn't support the 24
bpp PixMap option and the "sis" driver complains about 32 bpp for
PixMap. Xorg.0.log gives me an error like this (using 32 bpp PixMap):

(EE) SIS(1): Driver can't support depth 24 pixmap format (32)
(EE) SIS(1): **************************************************
(EE) SIS(1):                       ERROR:
(EE) SIS(1): xf86SetDepthBpp() error
(EE) SIS(1):                   END OF MESSAGE

Is this a bug in the X.org video drivers or is the hardware really not
capable of these PixMap values? I don't think the latter is the case as
I used to be able to use both displays under XFree86 (not setting a
value for the PixMap option at all). Or am I looking in the wrong place?
I attached my xorg.conf.

Thanks,

Nils Breunese.
--
"I got a funny feeling they got plastic in the afterlife" - Beck