6.8.1.901 status report and feedback

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Dec 22 06:48:20 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 08:18 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> The 6.8.1.901 sources compile fine in the Red Hat build system on the
> following architectures, using gcc-3.4.3 in Fedora Development:
>
> x86, x86_64, ppc, ppc64, s390, s390x, ia64
>
> The build went live early Saturday morning, and to date we have received
>   only one bug report specific to our packaging (not an X.Org issue).
> No other bug reports have come into Red Hat bugzilla since then WRT this
> release candidate.  In the same time, several people who have tested the
> new release candidate have closed some of their bug reports as being
> fixed now, or indicated as much in the report.
>
> While it hasn't received enough testing to be conclusive in any way,
> this is a very good sign of the stability of the release candidate when
> measured against the incoming bug reports of previous releases in
> similar timeframes.  This is a testimony to the constantly evolving
> X.Org development process, and the ever increasing number of developers
> and other contributors.
>
> I will hopefully be releasing 6.8.1.901 into fedora-testing for Fedora
> Core 3 before the end of the week, to increase the exposure to beta
> testers, now that our development build seems to fare decently.

It would be nice to have my radeon patches tested & applied too as they
basically make the difference between working and non working setup on a
lot of ppc machines (and possibly other non-x86). Most of them are
obvious bug fixes, the only one potentially disrupting, afaik, is the
LVDSProbePLL one which slightly changes the panel detection, but with
some testing, I'm quite confident I can fix any problem that arrises
caused by it.

Ben.