trident XP4m32

Mathieu Lacage mathieu_lacage at myrealbox.com
Wed Dec 22 05:46:33 PST 2004

hi,

I ended up recently with a nice new shiny laptop which, alas, contains
what appears to be a rather crappy video chip, a trident XP4m32 rev 91
(pci id: 1023:2100). While I was really happy to get a working 2D X
driver from the very start, I got a bit disappointed by the perceived 2D
performance of the running X server. Opaque window moves and window
scrolling appear really slow: this led me to get the trident driver
source code from the Xorg CVS HEAD server and go through it. It looks
like there is no kind of 2D acceleration for the XP4 chips so I wonder
what needs to be done to get this working. Is there anything I can do ?
I would be happy to try to hack on the code if I could be given a few
hints on what needs to be done and maybe pointers to useful information.

Of course, this lead me to have a look at 3D acceleration and it looks
like this is also completely non-existant. I get about 210FPS with
glxgears (on a 1.1 GHz pentium M) so I guess this means that it is a
software rendering fallback. Is there any work in the area of hardware-
accelerated 3D rendering for trident cards ? Any kind of information I
could use to get started ?

thanks,
Mathieu
--