6.8.1.901 status report and feedback

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Wed Dec 22 05:18:23 PST 2004

The 6.8.1.901 sources compile fine in the Red Hat build system on the
following architectures, using gcc-3.4.3 in Fedora Development:

x86, x86_64, ppc, ppc64, s390, s390x, ia64

The build went live early Saturday morning, and to date we have received
  only one bug report specific to our packaging (not an X.Org issue).
No other bug reports have come into Red Hat bugzilla since then WRT this
release candidate.  In the same time, several people who have tested the
new release candidate have closed some of their bug reports as being
fixed now, or indicated as much in the report.

While it hasn't received enough testing to be conclusive in any way,
this is a very good sign of the stability of the release candidate when
measured against the incoming bug reports of previous releases in
similar timeframes.  This is a testimony to the constantly evolving
X.Org development process, and the ever increasing number of developers
and other contributors.

I will hopefully be releasing 6.8.1.901 into fedora-testing for Fedora
Core 3 before the end of the week, to increase the exposure to beta
testers, now that our development build seems to fare decently.

Great job everyone!