[2nd try] Chooser + IPV4 + IPV6 problems

T. Horsnell (tsh) tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 22 03:09:43 PST 2004

Sorry to post again, but I really need to get this
sorted for the start of next year. Can anyone help?

I have a fully up2date'd FC3 system (as of 16 Dec) which
I am trying to set up to offer a chooser at system-startup
rather than a regular X login window. I want the chooser to
include an entry for the host machine itself (dev1), as
well as listing other machines. Furthermore, users of the system
need to be able to switch Xserver depths (some applications
will only operate in 8-bit, others only in 24-bit).
This is a prelude to building diskless hosts which will
function in the same way.

I have all this working on a number of diskless netbooted
hosts under RH7.1 but am now attempting to modernise, and
have hit problems.

1.
If I cause the local host (dev1) to display a chooser itself:

#/usr/bin/X11/X -indirect dev1 &
#xdm

I get a list of available hosts as expected, except that
dev1 appears with the comment:
'This account is currently not available'
However, if I click on the entry, I get a login window and
can obtain a desktop after logging in.

The chooser list also contains entries for other hosts in
our setup, but clicking on these just brings up the basic
X screen which eventally times-out back to the chooser.
These hosts are all only running IPv4.

2.
If I cause the localhost to display a chooser from
some other host (in this case server1, which is also
only running IPv4):

#/usr/bin/X11/X -indirect server1 &
#xdm

I again find that the entry for dev1 says
'This account is currently not available'
but this time it *doesnt* work if I click on it;
however, all the IPv4 hosts which didnt work in 1)
now work OK.

My conclusion:
On an IPv4/6 host:
A chooser established by an IPv4/6 host will
display entries for IPv4 and IPv4/6 hosts but wont
allow connection to the IPv4 ones
and
A chooser established by an IPv4-only host will
display entries for IPv4 and IPv4/6 hosts but wont
allow connection to the IPv4/6 ones.

Is this comprehensible?
Is this to be expected?
Can this be fixed?
What does 'This account is currently not available'
mean, and what can I do about it?

P.S.
In /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources I had to change:
#if PLANES >= 8
to:
#if PLANES > 8

in order to get a login window with a Xserver -depth 8
otherwise the server had a few tries and then just gave me
back the chooser.

Cheers,
Terry.