ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at pld-linux.org
Tue Dec 14 11:20:56 PST 2004

On Tuesday 14 of December 2004 13:13, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 10:56 +0000, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> > Is there a reason why the ChangeLog entry can't be generated
> > automatically from the CVS commit messages?  Am I missing something here?
>
> I can remember a lengthy discussion on that specific topic for certain
> modules of the gnome cvs server which refused to use ChangeLog files and
> relied on cvs to generate them from cvs commits. The result of the
> discussions:
>  - people are lazy and use stupid cvs commit messages. A separate
> ChangeLog file helps them stay honest
cvs admin -r rev:new_log?

>  - some people like to browse the file offline which is not possible if
> it must be generated from the CVS metadata.
no problem if it's generated on server side and keept in repository

>  - people do not like to rely on the unreliable CVS commit scripts to
> generate a single ChangeLog on the server because commits are not atomic
> so the ChangeLog file would contain commit collisions.
do it from cron instead of commit script

We (PLD) have such script which does such things in our cvs repository. Works
well, changelog is made via rcs2log and commited into repository on server
side but very, very ugly.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz                    PLD/Linux Team
http://www.t17.ds.pwr.wroc.pl/~misiek/  http://ftp.pld-linux.org/