ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Dec 14 09:32:07 PST 2004

Around 10 o'clock on Dec 14, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> Is there a reason why the ChangeLog entry can't be generated automatically
> from the CVS commit messages?  Am I missing something here?

Yes, because CVS sucks.  You want to have the ChangeLog entry committed
along with the other changes, but CVS doesn't make that easy and you end
up double-committing.

I finally gave up and just started using prepare-ChangeLog.pl.  If someone
could fix that script to take directory arguments to look for changes, it
would be a huge feature as running it from the top of xc takes way too
long.

-keith