ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Tue Dec 14 10:12:29 PST 2004

Am Di, den 14.12.2004 schrieb Keith Packard um 18:32:
> Around 10 o'clock on Dec 14, Keith Whitwell wrote:
>
> > Is there a reason why the ChangeLog entry can't be generated automatically
> > from the CVS commit messages?  Am I missing something here?
>
> Yes, because CVS sucks.  You want to have the ChangeLog entry committed
> along with the other changes, but CVS doesn't make that easy and you end
> up double-committing.
>
> I finally gave up and just started using prepare-ChangeLog.pl.  If someone
> could fix that script to take directory arguments to look for changes, it
> would be a huge feature as running it from the top of xc takes way too
> long.

That's exactly what I thought looking at the script as a poor 56K modem
user. It makes it basically unusable. I'm attaching a patch against
Egbert's version of the script. It allows you to run
prepare-ChangeLog.pl in any subdirectory and allows you to specify
files/directories to commit on the command line. This could also help
splitting commits affecting different files (the discussion Daniel and
Egbert are having in another sub-thread). Finally it treats any options
before the first file argument (or "--") as CVS options. This allows me
to add "-z9" to the CVS command lines, which speeds things up
considerably over a modem line.

If there is something stupid in the patch it's probably because this is
my first Perl hack.

> -keith

Regards,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |