Remaining differences between modular & monolith installs

Mon Oct 17 11:57:36 PDT 2005

Kevin E Martin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 11:42:11AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>>I've been diff'ing install trees produced by the modular & monolith
>>CVS head's lately.   (You may have noticed all the man page checkins
>>to bring the modular man pages up to what's installed by the monolith.
>>Another set should be coming soon for the driver man page.)
>

> That's excellent.  Thanks for going through all of the packages to fix
> the installed man pages Alan!!

No problem - if I didn't do it now, I'd have to do it when I started
integrating into Solaris.

>> - The xdm config files that used to be installed under
>>   ProjectRoot/lib/X11/xdm are now just under $(prefix)/lib/xdm.
>>   If we're going to move them, /etc/X11/xdm seems a more correct place
>>   for the config files, but the others (like chooser and the default
>>   pixmaps) should probably stay under $(prefix)/lib/X11/xdm.  Any
>>   thoughts?
>

> I think they should all stay in $(libdir)/X11/xdm -- putting them in
> $(libdir)/xdm was probably just a typo.

Yeah, in fact, now that I look, I think it was my oops.   Fixed it last night.

>> - modular Xorg logs to $(prefix)/var/log instead of /var/log.
>>   Should there be a --with-nothing-outside-prefix for those who
>>   want this and change the default back to not have $(prefix)?
>

> I agree with Kristian about keeping it defined as $(localstatedir)/log.

Then the README should clearly warn that you need to set
--localstatedir=/var to get the traditional behavior.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com