Remaining differences between modular & monolith installs

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Sun Oct 16 20:58:12 PDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 11:42:11AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> I've been diff'ing install trees produced by the modular & monolith
> CVS head's lately.   (You may have noticed all the man page checkins
> to bring the modular man pages up to what's installed by the monolith.
> Another set should be coming soon for the driver man page.)

That's excellent.  Thanks for going through all of the packages to fix
the installed man pages Alan!!

> Other major remaining inconsistencies I've seen:
>
>  - app-defaults are installed to /etc/X11/app-defaults instead of
>    $(prefix)/lib/X11/app-defaults.   Any objection to moving them
>    back?   (/etc/X11/app-defaults is traditionally where sites install
>    custom versions to override the /usr/X11/lib... versions.   As bug
>    4626 notes, this breaks the ability to use localized app-defaults.)

I agree they should be moved to $(libdir)/X11/app-defaults by default
since that is where they are installed in the monolith, but that path
should be allowed to be overridden with a configure option.

When compiling lib/Xt (Intrinsic.c specifically), XFILESEARCHPATHDEFAULT
should be set to be the same as the monolith (currently we're not
defining it and using the default in IntrinsicI.h).  Also, the default
search path should be allowed to be overridden with a configure option.

>  - The xdm config files that used to be installed under
>    ProjectRoot/lib/X11/xdm are now just under $(prefix)/lib/xdm.
>    If we're going to move them, /etc/X11/xdm seems a more correct place
>    for the config files, but the others (like chooser and the default
>    pixmaps) should probably stay under $(prefix)/lib/X11/xdm.  Any
>    thoughts?

I think they should all stay in $(libdir)/X11/xdm -- putting them in
$(libdir)/xdm was probably just a typo.

>  - modular Xorg logs to $(prefix)/var/log instead of /var/log.
>    Should there be a --with-nothing-outside-prefix for those who
>    want this and change the default back to not have $(prefix)?

I agree with Kristian about keeping it defined as $(localstatedir)/log.

Kevin