naming of DDXen.

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Tue Jun 14 20:14:16 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 03:06:57PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 14:59, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > This is a very tardy followup of "Modularization mailing list and
> > initial strawman proposal". I wasn't subscribed to -modular then so i
> > don't have the original mail to reply to.
> >
> > I have a problem with the current naming structure, namely:
> >    driver/xaa-mga
> >    driver/kaa-mga
> >
> > This ties the fate of the driver, as a whole, completely to the
> > acceleration architecture used. When XAA gets tossed out, all the rest;
> > modes, cursor, xv, dri setup, apparently gets thrown out too.
> >
> > Surely this can't be the consequence of an akward naming choice?
>
> This is valid.  I don't know that we really want to fork the entire driver
> just to switch AAs.  I'm of the opinion that any forked driver should be
> explicitly marked by having a new name from the xorg.conf perspective.
>
> In other words:
>
>   driver/xf86-input-mouse
>   driver/xf86-video-mga
>   driver/xf86-video-matrox
>
> Where the third component directly corresponds to the driver name in
> xorg.conf.  It's really not worth considering the kdrive drivers yet since
> there is no plan to make kdrive a loadable DDX.
>
> I plan on doing this tonight so I can set up symlink.sh for the video drivers
> too.

We discussed this briefly on IRC today, and I agree that it's a good
plan.  The main idea is that naming the video driver module components
xf86-video-* instead of tying them to specific AAs gives us additional
flexibility for future development.

Still catching up on mail from the past 10 days...
Kevin