naming of DDXen.

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Jun 14 12:06:57 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 14:59, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> This is a very tardy followup of "Modularization mailing list and
> initial strawman proposal". I wasn't subscribed to -modular then so i
> don't have the original mail to reply to.
>
> I have a problem with the current naming structure, namely:
>    driver/xaa-mga
>    driver/kaa-mga
>
> This ties the fate of the driver, as a whole, completely to the
> acceleration architecture used. When XAA gets tossed out, all the rest;
> modes, cursor, xv, dri setup, apparently gets thrown out too.
>
> Surely this can't be the consequence of an akward naming choice?

This is valid.  I don't know that we really want to fork the entire driver
just to switch AAs.  I'm of the opinion that any forked driver should be
explicitly marked by having a new name from the xorg.conf perspective.

In other words:

  driver/xf86-input-mouse
  driver/xf86-video-mga
  driver/xf86-video-matrox

Where the third component directly corresponds to the driver name in
xorg.conf.  It's really not worth considering the kdrive drivers yet since
there is no plan to make kdrive a loadable DDX.

I plan on doing this tonight so I can set up symlink.sh for the video drivers
too.

- ajax