naming of DDXen.

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Jun 7 11:59:37 PDT 2005

This is a very tardy followup of "Modularization mailing list and
initial strawman proposal". I wasn't subscribed to -modular then so i
don't have the original mail to reply to.

I have a problem with the current naming structure, namely:
   driver/xaa-mga
   driver/kaa-mga

This ties the fate of the driver, as a whole, completely to the
acceleration architecture used. When XAA gets tossed out, all the rest;
modes, cursor, xv, dri setup, apparently gets thrown out too.

Surely this can't be the consequence of an akward naming choice?

I see XAA as a subsystem, only a part of what a driver accomplishes.
I've been told that things are not that easy, that the memory manager
needs to change with it, but still it is only a part of a driver. It'll
be a lot easier to rework what's there already, than to start from
scratch. The current naming scheme either excludes refactoring or it
will require a big mv when the refactoring happens.

It's not too late to choose a slightly saner approach as only the
skeleton directories have been implemented for xaa-ati (which says it
all :)).

Maybe xf86- would be more correct? This probably not as cutesy as
xaa/kaa, but the DIX these drivers depend on are littered with xf86*
symbols.

Luc Verhaegen.