How to use single modules? [was: libprinter.a .99 error ...?]

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Sat Jul 16 15:00:19 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 00:21 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Friday 15 July 2005 21:57, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > Does this mean it is not currently possible to work with only one
> > module (in my case, for building Xprt only), or have I misunderstand
> > the situation?  Is splitting off the source modules into separate cvs
> > units something that will come later? Would it make sense for the
> > symlink script itself to be modularised to make this happen sooner?
>
> It will be possible to grab a single module for building the Xprt server [1].
> It will happen to be the same module that you grab to build any of the other
> servers, because they are too tightly coupled to the main DIX code to split
> out.

Ah yes, I was wondering about this, especially with the discussion about
the video+print unified server.

>  Obviously the system will have to have already installed the packages
> that the Xprt server depends on, which now includes (iirc) Xfont, Xdmcp, Xau,
> and Xlib.

Yes, I'm trying to sort through that at the moment.  By "installed" do
you there needs to have been a "make install" from the modular tree into
the destination specified in "./autogen.sh --prefix=...", such that
$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig contains the pertinent *.pc file, or do you just
mean the packages must be normally installed on my system
(in /usr/X11R6...) ?  I see it's a little complicated getting all the
dependencies sorted (following the "Package requirements (xextproto
xtrans xau xcmiscproto xdmcp) were not met." errors).

> Currently this is not possible, since the source has not been migrated over
> yet and no packages have been created, and also because the Xprint DDX has
> not been autotooled yet.

OK, I'll just start testing on the symlinked monolith for now, then.

Thanks for the replies, Dave and Adam,

Drew