How to use single modules? [was: libprinter.a .99 error ...?]

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Jul 16 15:53:33 EST 2005

On Saturday 16 July 2005 01:00, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 00:21 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > It will be possible to grab a single module for building the Xprt server
> > [1]. It will happen to be the same module that you grab to build any of
> > the other servers, because they are too tightly coupled to the main DIX
> > code to split out.
>
> Ah yes, I was wondering about this, especially with the discussion about
> the video+print unified server.

That won't be happening before 7.0 at any rate.

> >  Obviously the system will have to have already installed the packages
> > that the Xprt server depends on, which now includes (iirc) Xfont, Xdmcp,
> > Xau, and Xlib.
>
> Yes, I'm trying to sort through that at the moment.  By "installed" do
> you there needs to have been a "make install" from the modular tree into
> the destination specified in "./autogen.sh --prefix=...", such that
> $PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig contains the pertinent *.pc file, or do you just
> mean the packages must be normally installed on my system
> (in /usr/X11R6...) ?  I see it's a little complicated getting all the
> dependencies sorted (following the "Package requirements (xextproto
> xtrans xau xcmiscproto xdmcp) were not met." errors).

At build time, the server has to be able to find the relevant .pc file
somewhere.  For most people these will be in the system pkgconfig repository,
developers might have several such.  At run time, you have the usual issues
of having all the data files installed and all the linker dependencies in
place.

So installing Xprt as a binary package just requires the runtime dependencies.
The build time dependencies (all the protocol headers, etc) are slightly more
involved.

- ajax