Renaming modules in CVS

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Thu Aug 11 13:18:06 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:20 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> How do we rename modules in CVS?
>
> proto/PanoramiX should be proto/Xinerama, but I'm not sure how
> to make that happen.    (PanoramiX was DEC's code name when
> developing it, but when it was integrated into X.Org it was
> renamed to Xinerama to avoid trademark isssues with an existing
> trademark.   The protocol name is really Xinerama, it's just the
> ancient header files and function names that didn't get properly
> renamed, though doing so was a goal of the failed Xinerama
> standardization attempt.)

The best way to deal with this is to repocopy and remove the old
version.  "cp -Rp PanoramiX Xinerama" on gabe, check out PanoramiX, rm
everything, cvs rm, commit.  This keeps people's copies of CVS from
whining profusely, as would happen if you used mv.  Then, a year down
the road when nobody even remembers that the PanoramiX directory
existed, you could rm it from the Attic and nobody would notice.

I would personally love to see these modules renamed to the lowercase
names of the .pc files they install.  It feels a lot more sane to me
from a distro point of view, where I'd like the package name to express
what it is and match the distfile's name.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org