Development plan -- time to move forward

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Sat Apr 23 09:01:35 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 05:10:09PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 02:48:08AM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> > It just adds meaningless lines to every souce file in the monolithic
> > tree.  I agree that AM_CONFIG_HEADER is very useful for dependencies,
> > but is it an absolute requirement for the initial release given the
> > caveat that it will be added immediately following the initial release?
>
> It makes CFLAGS very, very messy, and it's only another thing to go
> wrong when we're doing two transitions; if you're worried about config.h
> stuff, I've just dropped a 12,000 line patch in not three days ago ...
>
> I think it's not too bad, since it will have no effect on the monolithic
> tree, and a positive one on the modular tree.

I do understand all of these things well, and I do support the use of
AM_CONFIG_HEADER in the modular tree (see the general guidelines section
of the developer's guide).  However, I would like to keep the modular
tree specific sources changes down to a handful of files instead of
every source file in the tree.

The question that I posed is: can we live with the implicit dependency
on the Makefiles and the cluttered CFLAGS, both of which we have lived
with for many years in the monolithic tree, with the caveat that we will
add AM_CONFIG_HEADER support right after the initial modular release?