Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Apr 14 19:26:45 PDT 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 20:01, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 19:01 -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> > This is what I was trying to explain in the "Autotooling the modules"
> > section of my devel notes.  The idea is that we will use as much of the
> > autotooling from xlibs, xapps, xserver, and Debrix as possible.  I hope
> > that we can use it all, which will get us close to where we want to be,
> > but we should examine what has been done and ask those involved if they
> > have figured out better ways to autotool the code since they did the
> > work or if they have learned lessons that we should make sure not to
> > repeat.  Basically, I don't want to recreate the wheel nor do I want to
> > repeat the mistakes of the past.
>
> Just so I don't forget before I leave tomorrow, there's one
> inconsistency in the xlibs modularization effort which may deserve some
> study.
>
> Autotool packages often (but not always) place the actual sources for
> the project one directory below the top so that the maze of build files
> and other cruft doesn't clutter the directory containing the source
> files.  Xlib was modularized this way while the remaining packages were
> not.
>
> I suggest that we'd best agree on whether we follow this convention or
> not; my own opinion is that it's probably a good idea for larger
> packages, and so we should probably just do it in all cases.

Yes.  I did this in the Debrix drivers, but with the naming the wrong way
around (see below).

> I note that some Gnome modules use the name of the module for this
> subdirectory (gtk/gtk); I'd rather just use 'src' unless others have
> compelling arguments in favor of the module name.

I really dislike the gtk/gtk style, it's not informative and it makes talking
about each module needlessly imprecise.  "Did you mean tdfx/Makefile.am or
tdfx/tdfx/Makefile.am?"  Yuck.  Please just call it src.

- ajax