Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Apr 16 12:49:54 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 17:01 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> I suggest that we'd best agree on whether we follow this convention or
> not; my own opinion is that it's probably a good idea for larger
> packages, and so we should probably just do it in all cases.
>
> I note that some Gnome modules use the name of the module for this
> subdirectory (gtk/gtk); I'd rather just use 'src' unless others have
> compelling arguments in favor of the module name.

The reason for gtk/gtk is a consequence of, two things:

 A) some GTK+ headers include other GTK+ headers
 B) GTK+ headers are in a subdirectory below $includedir

So, gtk/gtk.h has a:

 #include <gtk/gtkwidget.h>

in it. When building the package, this reference is resolved
with a "-I $(top_srcdir)"

it's the same reason that the fontconfig header files live
in a fontconfig/ subdirectory of the fontconfig/ module.
Another possibility you see in some the X packaging is
<foo>/include/<foo>.

Some approach like this has to be taken to make the header files
work. The GTK+ method has the advantage of putting all the source
files in one directory, which is easier to work with. But tastes
vary.

Regards,
					Owen