Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Apr 14 18:53:53 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:01:29PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Just so I don't forget before I leave tomorrow, there's one
> inconsistency in the xlibs modularization effort which may deserve some
> study.

Actually, two.  Some of the modular xlibs had ^Ls removed, resulting
in huge diffs that actually do nothing.  CVS taglines are also not
entirely consistent.

> Autotool packages often (but not always) place the actual sources for
> the project one directory below the top so that the maze of build files
> and other cruft doesn't clutter the directory containing the source
> files.  Xlib was modularized this way while the remaining packages were
> not.
>
> I suggest that we'd best agree on whether we follow this convention or
> not; my own opinion is that it's probably a good idea for larger
> packages, and so we should probably just do it in all cases.

Yeah, I think this is a good idea.

> I note that some Gnome modules use the name of the module for this
> subdirectory (gtk/gtk); I'd rather just use 'src' unless others have
> compelling arguments in favor of the module name.

I've also seen the name of the module (e.g. kopete/kopete rather than
kopete/src) throughout KDE, and I'm honestly not too attached to it.
src/ works for me.