Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Mon Apr 11 23:43:48 PDT 2005

Kean Johnston wrote:
>>The talk here was of avoiding this for builds rather than development,
>>presumably?  For development, we'd require GNU tools in terms of GNU
>>autoconf and automake to generate the files anyway.
>
> Right. Thats what I was trying to say, but you put it much more
> succinctly :) I hope the BSD crowd don't have any issues with
> using the GNU tools in development?

I have no issues¹ with the GNU tools for which there are no other
equivalent tools in the base system.

But the build system of released source should not have extra
dependencies on other parts of a GNU/Linux system. One should be able to
build the core of the X window system on his favourite system (which is
not always GNU/Linux) without first adding several external packages.

--------
(¹) once it has decided by the majority that this is the way to go. I
have been objecting against this choice in the past, but this is over.
--
Matthieu Herrb