Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Kean Johnston kean at armory.com
Mon Apr 11 21:15:40 PDT 2005

> For example, FreeBSD has support for Intel icc for kernel building and I
> read that it creates significantly faster code. Also, I have used tendra
I can believe that. GCC is a great compiler, but the price you pay
for the extreme portability of the thing is that it is more
difficult to compete with a processor-specific compiler. Our C
compiler routinely outperforms GCC 3.4.3 by about 20%, and most of
that is due to the extremely aggressive post-assembly-generation
peephole optimization passes we have, most of which was written
by Intel :)

> (Anyone work on tendra/ten15?)
Never heard of it but I'm about to go google it :)

PS. Don't you just love the fact that 'google' has become a verb?
Score 1 for the geeks :)

Kean