Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Kean Johnston kean at armory.com
Mon Apr 11 17:09:44 PDT 2005

> Yes, no GNU Make, no GNU m4. And also no perl in core NetBSD. Please don't
> require perl for any build.
I'm with you on the GNU make thing, but m4 will almost certainly
be a requirement for any developer as the whole aim of the project
is to autoconfiscate things, and that requires GNU m4. Unless you
are refering to consumers of the library not the core xorg
development, in which case I agree.

Perl is slightly differnt (IMHO). For openers, due to its
Artistic License, its more ubiquitous than the GNU stuff, and
it has almost become as much a standard part of any UNIX system
as, say, awk and sed. If we can avoid it, I'm all for it, but I
think its absense is *less* of a requirement than the other two.

Kean