Modularization development notes [was Re: RFA sent to the ArchWG]

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Apr 11 17:16:59 PDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Kean Johnston wrote:

> > Yes, no GNU Make, no GNU m4. And also no perl in core NetBSD. Please don't
> > require perl for any build.

> I'm with you on the GNU make thing, but m4 will almost certainly
> be a requirement for any developer as the whole aim of the project
> is to autoconfiscate things, and that requires GNU m4. Unless you
> are refering to consumers of the library not the core xorg
> development, in which case I agree.

Looking closer ...

OpenBSD provides a BSD-licensed version of m4 that has "Newer extensions,
needed to handle gnu-m4 scripts".

I see that FreeBSD and NetBSD are using these OpenBSD m4 enhancements:
"The current version is supposed to be capable of satisfying autoconf."

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/