[Xorg-fosdem] 2 weeks 'til FOSDEM: service messages.

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Fri Feb 10 17:04:38 PST 2006

Hi,

Just a few service messages to make X at FOSDEM2006 seem more concrete.

* Two weeks from now we will be enjoying belgian "products" (or
non-belgian products :)) at the Cafe De L'universite.

This is a (simplified) map of the FOSDEM area:
http://www.fosdem.org/index/practical/practical_image_2

When you leave the fosdem site and walk towards PLAINE, another
university campus, over the Avenue de l'universite (dutch:
Hogeschoollaan), you encounter a roundabout (crossing chaussee de
boondael / boondaelsesteenweg). This is the heart of the student area
there and you will find all sorts of cafe's and restaurants there. The
places there range from sandwiches right up to a very high class
restaurant, you've got a wide choice between at least italian, chinese
and vietnamese. You should be able to find what your stomach and wallet
desires here.

Cafe de l'universite is the first place you encounter on your left hand
side (if you're coming from FOSDEM), when you reach the roundabout. It's
right there on the corner. As i said before, this is an affordable
brasserie, with a decent choice of belgian food at students prices, and
a matching selection of beer :) We have the back room to ourselves.

The cemetary is at the other side of the roundabout in case you've
enjoyed yourself too much.

* My hotel (and matthias's) is the Catalonia Forum hotel just 2.5kms
("walking" distance - i'll be by car, although i hugely prefer other
means of transportation in a city) from the FOSDEM site. This on
thursday, friday and saturday night, I will not be crashing in brussels
on sunday night. The catalonia is an affordable hotel but i have no idea
of the accomodations or the breakfast, but brussels offers plenty of
opportunities to have a second breakfast if needs be :)

* In case of emergency, or if you need some directions; my cellphone
number is 0496 18 03 61. This is a .be number so you need
to ditch the first 0 and prefix 0032 if you're calling with a phone
from another country. You'll have to check the rates with your phone
company.

* We have no set place for thursday evening, but we will be at cafe de
l'universite the other nights (not that anyone will be forced to be
there though :)).

If there's enough interest, we might want to get together somewhere on
thursday too.

* The Cercle Informatique is lending us a room (for free!) for our
HotHouse. I'm not currently able to provide more details, but the actual
directions to the room (on the solbosch campus / fosdem site) and the
time people are expected there will be communicated soon.

* I'll try to give you some directions on public transportation through
brussels in the next few days. There are two trams and one bus stopping
in front, so it's not that hard to reach.

Luc Verhaegen.