[Xorg-driver-geode] building xf86-video-geode on non-Linux platforms?

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sun Jan 1 18:25:52 PST 2012

On 12-01-01 06:04 PM, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Starting with release 2.11.13, the autoconf implementation of
> xf86-video-geode allows more flexibility on which platforms it can
> succesfully build for, by skipping the ZTV module on platforms that
> don't support V4L2. To my delight, GNU/Hurd seems to be such a
> platform. As reported earlier by Arrigo Marchiori, this is also the
> case on at least some BSD variants. In both cases, the video output
> module succesfully builds, while ZTV is skipped.
>
> However, there are apparently BSD variants that claim support for
> "linux/videodevice2.h" but lack other Linux includes, which results in
> a failed build:
>
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=xserver-xorg-video-geode
>
> Would anyone have any suggestion on how to solve this?

    checking linux/videodev2.h usability... yes
    checking linux/videodev2.h presence... yes
    checking for linux/videodev2.h... yes

    z4l.c:50:25: fatal error: linux/types.h: No such file or directory

What we usually refer to as a "Linux OS" is a "GNU/Linux OS". The OS
combines "GNU software" with a Linux kernel. The Debian "GNU/kFreeBSD"
OS combines "GNU software" with a FreeBSD kernel.

It seems FreeBSD support video4linux2 but it does not include the Linux
kernel type definitions. However these types are not used in z4l.c. You
can delete linux/types.h from z4l.c and it compiles ok on Linux. It
tends to confirm that video4linux2 on kFreeBSD does not need the Linux
kernel types because those were not included in the OS.

I came accross this code in z4l.c that suggests it would not work on any
OS other than linux as it checks the OS name:

    LoaderGetOS(&osname, NULL, NULL, NULL);

    if (osname == NULL || strcmp(osname, "linux") != 0) {
    if (errmaj)
        *errmaj = LDR_BADOS;
    if (errmin)
        *errmin = 0;