[Xorg-driver-geode] FreeBSD patch for xf86-video-geode 2.11.12

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 14 12:07:33 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 15:47 +0100, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> first of all, I would like to thank Martin-Éric and all of you for
> your sudden (and welcome! :-) interest towards FreeBSD.
>
> I am sorry to tell you that I don't know what an MSR is; I just needed
> a working driver for Xorg; I made those small corrections to the
> source and this made it Just Work™. For this reason, I am stuck with
> version 2.11.10, that seems to work fine for my needs.
>
> It will take me some time to test version 2.11.12; but I can do it if
> you think it may help you with the development.
>
> FWIW, I have checked the initial patch from Martin-Éric; I just had to
> remove some hash '#' signs and it gave me a compilable driver on
> FreeBSD 8-STABLE. I didn't run it on an actual Geode, though.
>
> Just a quick answer to Gaetan's doubt about FreeBSD being 32- or
> 64-bits. Both versions exist; I am using the 32-bit version, both for
> the development system and for the embedded target. The second choice
> is forced, as Mart pointed out.
>
> Please tell me if there is anything else I can do to help you. In the
> meantime, I am downloading the sources using git (and it is taking
> forever!)

Could you compile the patch "Replace LFS transitional extension API
lseek64 and off64_t"
I just sent to the geode list. This is how things are done in X.Org
which I believe runs on FreeBSD.

Can you report on the value of _FILE_OFFSET_BITS in the generated
config.h?

It's not clear (at least to me) if geode *needs* large file support on
32 bit or if FreeBSD has decided not to provide such support on 32 bit.
At least with this patch it is code correctly and should compile on any
platform and on both 32 and 64. This is the role of Autoconf/Automake to
hide as much as possible the platform differences.