[Xorg-driver-geode] GX by natsemi/cyrix on WYSE

Martin-Éric Racine q-funk at iki.fi
Mon Oct 4 14:12:34 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:51 PM, scott lorberbaum <ugascottl at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'v been using some WYSE terminals for years with an older gentoo distro
> as ltsp thin clients.  They use the "nsc" driver and the video card is
> recognized and picked up perfectly.

Could we get the result of "lspci -v" sent to this list as an
attachment? This would help us pinpoint exactly which Geode variant
you have.

> We are currently updating to ubuntu 10.04 lucid and trying to run the
> same thin clients but they keep booting up with the VESA driver.  I've
> installed the "geode" driver in the thin client and told the thin client
> to use that driver, but the machine does one of a couple of things.

The Cyrix and NSC drivers no longer ship with most Linux distributions
because they have become unmaintained. This is why you see X fall back
to the VESA driver.

> 1) will just boot up into the VESA driver instead, looking further up in
> the Xorg.log log file it says it was trying to load the cyrix driver but
> it doesn't exist. and then proceeds to the VESA.

There is our answer then: you probably have an original GX with a
CS5530a companion chip. Still, it would be good to get the ouput of
"lspci -v" as an attachment, just to confirm.

>   there isn't even a cyrix driver anymore ..right isn't it the geode driver now?

The Geode driver currently supports the GX2 and LX variants of the
Geode family. Older products based upon the GX1 generation are not
supported. We've had distant plans to import GX1 support into our
driver, but given how old that generation is, priorities have been on
the LX support, since LX hardware is still sold by AMD.

Our next target is to overhaul GX2 support.  As you can see, our GX1
integration is rather low-priority. See (
http://www.x.org/wiki/GeodeDriver ) for our current project targets
and milestones.

This being said, if there is enough demand, we might get around
merging GX1 sooner. AMD developers read this mailing list and can
inform their managers if there's sufficient demand to support older
products, which could raise the priority of the GX1 support in our
development efforts.

I hope that the above helps.

Best Regards,
Martin-Éric