[Xorg-driver-geode] Update -- The RandR-"unable to setrotation"issue in AMD Geode LX platform

Mitch Davis mjd-xorg-driver-geode at afork.com
Mon Jun 21 00:30:21 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Cui, Hunk <Hunk.Cui at amd.com> wrote:

>>Two other points I've noticed:  One is that after the rotation, there
> are some colourful random pixels on the edge of the screen.

> [Cui, Hunk] Can you provide some screenshots and let me know your description (more embody)?

I used xwd to get a screenshot.  Not only did it not capture the
random pixels, but the image wasn't even inverted! :-)

What I've done is made an image that shows you what I see.  Note, this
is not the real image, it's just a simulation.
The first is after doing the rotation, the second is trying to drag a
window over the random pixels (I can't).

This is with a VGA LCD monitor.  I haven't tried our LVDS display yet,
maybe they won't show on the LVDS display, because they seem just a
little off-screen.

>>In addition, if I try to use Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch back to a text
> screen, the screen goes black (no signal).
>
> [Cui, Hunk] I will try to reproduce this phenomenon in my platform. Thank you for your reminder.

Ok, I had a look, and this happens if I'm using fbcon, the kernel's
framebuffer-based virtual console.

If I add "vga=792 fbcon=rotate:2" to the kernel boot command line, I
get a nice rotated fb console, but I can't see text when I switch away
from X.  If I have the normal text console, I can see text when I
switch away from X.

The most important thing for me is the rotated screen, which I now
have, thank you.  It's ok if we can't switch VTs, for the moment.  If
there's something more I can do to help find the problem, or you need
more information, please let me know.

Mitch.