[Xorg-driver-geode] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-amd 2.7.7.4

Martin-Éric Racine q-funk at iki.fi
Fri Jan 4 21:00:54 PST 2008

On 1/4/08, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
> On 03/01/08 15:20 +0200, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> > Julien Cristau thus hinted that tracing xf86emu and finding out what
> > makes it fail on General Software might be a more productive approach
> > than trying to to nit pick our -AMD driver code. He suggests that
> > x86emu simply managed to expose bugs in GSW that make it crash rather
> > than recover gracefully.
>
> Since we're now pretty sure that the AMD driver isn't doing anything
> silly, I have committed two patches to fix the segfault issue for both
> GX and LX.  For everybody that isn't using GSW, you should be able to
> use -configure without fear now.
>
> Maintainers - please test and spin new packages as soon as you can.

I have released this as 2.7.7.4 today. The ChangeLog entry reads:

    [GX][LX] Push PreInit fixes to avoid segfaults on X -configure.

    This is known to work on products with GeodeROM and Insyde BIOSes.

    On products with a General Software BIOS, a freeze occurs while X
    is probing VBE.  The same issue occurs with LinuxBIOS and VGAROM,
    but not with LinuxBIOS omitting VGAROM.

    Both issues appear to be caused by X server core upgrading from
    vm86 to x86emu since X server release 1.3, which requires fixing
    x86emu, or the concerned BIOSes, or both.

I'm also updating the Debian unstable package to match, now.

Can other distributions please sync their release candidates to this
and report any failure they encounter, beyond the caveats already
mentioned in the ChangeLog?
Confirming success on products that use other BIOSes is also welcome.

Cheers!
--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://q-funk.iki.fi