[Xorg-driver-geode] xf86-video-amd 2.7.7.4 - vm86 vs x86emu

Bart Trojanowski bart at jukie.net
Sat Jan 5 10:05:27 PST 2008

* Martin-?ric Racine <q-funk at iki.fi> [080105 00:02]:
>     On products with a General Software BIOS, a freeze occurs while X
>     is probing VBE.  The same issue occurs with LinuxBIOS and VGAROM,
>     but not with LinuxBIOS omitting VGAROM.
>
>     Both issues appear to be caused by X server core upgrading from
>     vm86 to x86emu since X server release 1.3, which requires fixing
>     x86emu, or the concerned BIOSes, or both.

I tested 2.7.7.0, 2.7.7.3 and 2.7.7.4 on ThinCan (General Software BIOS)
running Ubuntu/Gutsy with xcore 1.3

        - 2.7.7.[03] - GP fault
        - 2.7.7.[03] w/ patches applied manualy - freeze
        - 2.7.7.4 - freeze

I also rebuild xcore 1.3 Gutsy package w/ --with-int10=vm86 ...

        - 2.7.7.0 - GP fault
        - 2.7.7.4 - freeze

We previously thought that going from 1.1 to 1.3 xcore caused this
because of the change from vm86 to x86emu.  I think this shows that
x86emu is not at fault.  Martin-Eric said that it could be int10 code.

With vm86 the only difference I see before the freeze is

        (EE) AMD(0): vm86() syscall generated signal 8.

printed on the screen before things top responding.  I don't know if
that is at all related.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/