[Xorg-driver-geode] Functionality addition/suggestion

Rob Horton rob.horton at parasense.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 02:11:19 PST 2007

Hi,
I've only been using Linux for a few weeks so I'm still on a huge
learing curve so.

I have been putting together a system using a GENE-5315 from Aaeon.com
[ftp://data.aaeon.com.tw/DOWNLOAD/2007%20datasheets/ECD/GENE-5315.pdf]
and an LCD monitor
that doesn't support DDC. I will describe my experiences and then my
driver suggestion.

I started by installing Debian Etch

Using a monitor that does support DDC, Linux would boot ok and xserver
would run. The xorg.conf file listed
the driver as vesa since Etch doesn't have an amd driver. When linux had
booted or xserver started I could swap
to the nonDDC monitor and not have any problems. However, if the nonDDC
monitor was attached when Linux
booted or xserver started then the system would hang. I couldn't even
connect via SSH.

I recompiled Etch with EDID (which uses DDC) disabled and the system
would boot ok using the nonDDC monitor.
However, xserver still had problems.

I then installed Debian Lenny as it had the amd driver in it.

The system booted up just fine using the nonDDC monitor, however,
xserver still had the same problem. I have been
following a discussion
[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-amd/+bug/140051]
about patching
the amd driver but the solution put forward feels a bit "temporary".

So, I would like to suggest/request that the amd driver have the ability
to turn off DDC and use some predefined settings
within xorg.conf. This would then allow xserver to start when using a
nonDDC monitor or without having a monitor attached.

A chance discovery happened when I attached a hard drive that had an old
installation of Beatrix. Much to my amazement, Linux
booted and xserver started with the nonDDC monitor. This may be because
the framebuffer was being used. I then experimented
with the framebuffer with my Etch installation. It worked, sort of.
xserever would start ok but the results were not pretty. This may be
being caused by my lack of experience/knowledge of Linux.

Rob Horton