[Xorg-driver-geode] Functionality addition/suggestion

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Sun Dec 23 09:39:32 PST 2007

On 21/12/07 10:11 +0000, Rob Horton wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> So, I would like to suggest/request that the amd driver have the ability
> to turn off DDC and use some predefined settings
> within xorg.conf. This would then allow xserver to start when using a
> nonDDC monitor or without having a monitor attached.

That behavior is available in the driver right now - we'll use modes from
xorg.conf if they are specfied.  The problem here is that nearly all of
the distributions have abandonded the practice of setting modelines in
the xorg.conf as it is shipped - instead they rely on autodetection which
works great for your average desktop, but not so great for embedded
devices or systems without DDC.

I'm not going to say thats a limitation of the distributions, because we
are in the minority, and the system in place works for a great number of
people.  But it does make our lives slightly harder, namely that our
configuration is anything but auto.

If you can find some Modelines you would like to use, go ahead and stick
them into your xorg.conf.  X will find them, and the AMD driver will use
them.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse