Kaveri XV

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Nov 9 19:13:17 PST 2014

On 08.11.2014 07:57, James Cloos wrote:
> Is XV expected to work with a Kaveri and current git master everything?
>
> I get a weird effect.  Not quite like tearing, but repeated down the
> display about a dozen times or so.
>
> One time (but only once) I also saw that when using:
>
>    mplayer -vo vdpau:hqscaling=1
>
> After I noticed that, I remembered vdpauinfo(1); it says that HIGH
> QUALITY SCALING is not supported.
>
> Hmmm.  Now I just found an mp4 where vdpau gives flashing (but not like
> the xv flashing), but xv works.  For that file, ffprobe reports:
>
>   Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1280x720
>     [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 2300 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
>
> But that also is what ffprobe reports of other files where gl and xv fail.
>
> So all of vo xv, vo vdpau and vo gl are hit-n-miss.  Even when the video
> files have the same ffprobe stream output.

Right now, the only way to avoid tearing with the radeonsi driver is to
use VDPAU or OpenGL output in fullscreen, so page flipping can be used.
Note that the display configuration or video player application may
prevent page flipping from working even in fullscreen, e.g. if the video
output window dimensions don't match the desktop dimensions.

The only other way to avoid tearing is to use a compositing manager
which uses OpenGL for rendering, and renders full frames and calls
SwapBuffers every time.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer