HD5770 bringup

Dave Witbrodt dawitbro at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 10 19:49:36 PDT 2010

On 04/10/2010 09:17 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I found this in my email notes. I had exactly the same problem on my i915:
>
> [QUOTE]
>
>> CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
>> # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set
>
> drm_i915 needs this to display the console. so you have to set this to
> yes or make shure the module is loaded or you get a blank screen at
> bootup until x starts.
> [QUOTE]

Yeah, you definitely need that; here's mine:

     $ grep CONSOLE /boot/config-$(uname -r)
     # CONFIG_NETCONSOLE is not set
     CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRANSLATIONS=y
     CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
     CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
     CONFIG_VT_HW_CONSOLE_BINDING=y
     CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
     CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
*   CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
     # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY is not set
     # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set

Wow.  I just wrote a mile-long email in the other thread... all for
nothing, it would seem!  Glad you found an easy fix, though!

[...]
> and I now see the login screen displayed in beautiful 1920 x 1080. Pretty!!
>
> So I added xdm to the default start level, rebooted and I get the gdm
> login screen. I'm up and running. (Well, sort of. No mouse and
> keyboard but that probably isn't anything serious. Says it cannot find
> the evdev driver...)

Strange, it looked to me (in the other thread) like Gentoo was building
"evdev" for you -- look at the very first value listed after
"INPUT_DEVICES":

     [ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7  INPUT_DEVICES="evdev
     -acecad -aiptek -joystick -keyboard -mouse -penmount -synaptics
     -tslib -virtualbox -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev radeon
     -apm -ark -ast -chips -cirrus -dummy -epson -fglrx (-geode) -glint
     -i128 (-i740) (-impact) -intel -mach64 -mga -neomagic (-newport)
     -nv -nvidia -r128 -radeonhd -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage
     -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3)
     (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx)-tdfx -tga -trident -tseng
     -v4l -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware (-voodoo) (-xgi)" 0 kB

Should be there.

> OK - so I still don't have the settings correct to see the higher
> resolution fonts, and I want to get that very much. However it's
> really good progress!

Not sure what you mean here.  Are you talking about text mode fonts when
the kernel is booting, or fonts used by the X server (or the display
manager) when it runs?

> Let me study my i915 setup a little more and see if I can find the
> thing that turned the fonts on there.

Glad for the good news,
Dave W.