fixed aspect scaling and 16:10 modes

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 14:04:12 PDT 2009

On 4/10/09, Rafi Rubin <rafi at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> It seems that after one of the updates in march the driver stopped respecting the modelines I defined in my xorg.conf.  It also ignores my requested resolution list, which hadn't included any 4:3 modes.  Is this behavior intentional?  I had resorted to adding my favorites with xrandr in my .Xsession, though I've finally just added them to the list of resolutions in the source.

Can you be more precise about what problem you are having?  Can you
post your xorg log and config and explain exactly which modes you want
or don't want to be available?  You should be able to specify
modelines in your config per monitor.  See this page for more info:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

>  Also how can I determine if my setup will support fixed aspect ratio scaling?  Is there anything I can do to help get that working, or help test it?

you can specify the scaling mode as an xrandr property; options are
full, center or aspect:
xrandr --output <output> --set scaler aspect
etc.

On pre-avivo chips (r1xx-r4xx) only full and center are available.
Aspect should be possible, it's just not implemented yet.  On
avivo-based radeons (r5xx-r7xx and rs6xx), full, center, and aspect
are supported.