fixed aspect scaling and 16:10 modes

Rafi Rubin rafi at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 10 14:44:45 PDT 2009

You'll see the modes that I keep around in my xorg.conf.  I don't actually use all that many of them with much regularity, but they
are nice have.

I think the ones I consider most important are those that match the most common vesa modes in height while maintaining the 16:10
aspect ratio.  And I also like the have the modes that precisely half the dimensions of the native resolution of the screen.

At this point most the newer screen I work with are 1280x800 or 1920x1200.

So, I'd personally suggest including:
640x400, 768x480, 960x600, 1229x768, 1280x800, and 1920x1200
(not terribly fond of the 1024 high resolutions, too much pain with 5x4 screens).

Anyway, I think aside from listing resolutions people like, ignoring modelines in x config is a bad idea.  Especially if the driver
gives no indication as to why its rejecting them or some warning that it doesn't even want to process them.

As for the fixed aspect scaling.  Its just nice to be able to play some of the less sophisticated games that don't really handle the
resolutions nicely without odd jiggery pokery.  Though just having used xrandr 1.3 for the first time today, I see that manual
scaling and panning will suffice to make things nice for those games.  But it still requires a bit of fiddling.