Interlaced VGA capability possibly lost between v4.2.0 and v4.3.0

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Dec 14 03:26:28 PST 2008

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>> Alex Deucher wrote:
>>> I will work fine.
>> It does produce interlaced output that locks up correctly, but
>> there's still something not quite right.  I can't get the same
>> smooth playback that I had with 4.2.0. It's difficult to tell
>> exactly what's wrong. With MythTV, playing PAL content into a
>> PAL TV, I've always had the problem that the interlaces can
>> sometimes get display in the wrong order temporally. Pausing
>> and unpausing a few times would put it right. With 6.9.0
>> it looks as though perhaps the interlaces are stuck out of
>> sync. They are spacially correct. It could on the other
>> hand be that I'm getting frames dropped. I'm not sure.
>>
>> I wanted to experiment again with 4.2.0. How can I get a
>> copy of the source for that version? Looking in the
>> git repo, there doesn't seem to be a tag for 4.2.0,
>> although the repo goes back to 2003.
>>

> There is no 4.2.0 or 4.3.0, those weren't the actual versions of the
> driver.  What you probably want is 6.6.3 which was the last version
> before we added xrandr 1.2 support.  The releases are marked with tags
> in git and you can download tarballs from cgit.  tag is ati_6_6_3.
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/snapshot/ati_6_6_3.tar.bz2

I've confirmed that 6.9.0 works just as well as 6.6.3 with my current
configuration. Thought I should let you know after questioning it
before.

I'm still not able to get smooth playback, as I did once before, but it
must be something I've changed - perhaps I'm using a slightly different
mode line.

One strange thing with both versions. In Xorg.0.log I see the vertical
refresh reported as 49.9 for a perfect PAL mode line (13.5MHz,
htotal=864, vtotal=625). May well be of no importance, but thought
it worth mentioning.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Cheers,
	Paul.