Interlaced VGA capability possibly lost between v4.2.0 and v4.3.0

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 16:00:24 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:

>>> Brilliant! That's good news. Any ideas whether the latest radeon driver
>>> is likely to work with X.Org X server 1.4.2?
>>
>> I will work fine.
>
> It does produce interlaced output that locks up correctly, but
> there's still something not quite right.  I can't get the same
> smooth playback that I had with 4.2.0. It's difficult to tell
> exactly what's wrong. With MythTV, playing PAL content into a
> PAL TV, I've always had the problem that the interlaces can
> sometimes get display in the wrong order temporally. Pausing
> and unpausing a few times would put it right. With 6.9.0
> it looks as though perhaps the interlaces are stuck out of
> sync. They are spacially correct. It could on the other
> hand be that I'm getting frames dropped. I'm not sure.
>
> I wanted to experiment again with 4.2.0. How can I get a
> copy of the source for that version? Looking in the
> git repo, there doesn't seem to be a tag for 4.2.0,
> although the repo goes back to 2003.

There is no 4.2.0 or 4.3.0, those weren't the actual versions of the
driver.  What you probably want is 6.6.3 which was the last version
before we added xrandr 1.2 support.  The releases are marked with tags
in git and you can download tarballs from cgit.  tag is ati_6_6_3.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/snapshot/ati_6_6_3.tar.bz2