Interlaced VGA capability possibly lost between v4.2.0 and v4.3.0

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Dec 10 15:54:36 PST 2008

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>> Alex Deucher wrote:
>>> At some point during the xrandr 1.2 transition in the radeon driver,
>>> certain interlaced configurations broke.  This should be fixed now in
>>> ati git master.
>> Brilliant! That's good news. Any ideas whether the latest radeon driver
>> is likely to work with X.Org X server 1.4.2?
>
> I will work fine.

It does produce interlaced output that locks up correctly, but
there's still something not quite right.  I can't get the same
smooth playback that I had with 4.2.0. It's difficult to tell
exactly what's wrong. With MythTV, playing PAL content into a
PAL TV, I've always had the problem that the interlaces can
sometimes get display in the wrong order temporally. Pausing
and unpausing a few times would put it right. With 6.9.0
it looks as though perhaps the interlaces are stuck out of
sync. They are spacially correct. It could on the other
hand be that I'm getting frames dropped. I'm not sure.

I wanted to experiment again with 4.2.0. How can I get a
copy of the source for that version? Looking in the
git repo, there doesn't seem to be a tag for 4.2.0,
although the repo goes back to 2003.

Cheers,
	Paul.