xf86-video-ati + compiz = white or black screen

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Fri Sep 21 00:19:07 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 19:07 +0200, Marius Groeger wrote:

> I'm using Mesa git HEAD. Desktop size is 1400x1050 but I also tried
> reducing it according to your hint - to no avail.

What does

glxinfo -l|grep GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE

say?

> I'm quite at a loss here. What possibilities are there to debug such
> issues? What could possibly cause a white screen?

Usually GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap not working properly. Which version
of xserver are you building and running xf86-video-ati against? What
does

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxinfo|grep texture_from_pixmap|wc -l

say? Is compiz running with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1?

> What I also found out with ppracer is that with FBTexPercent=0, OpenGL
> is considerably faster but some textures are broken.

That would be expected with an R300 class card, as the Mesa r300 driver
doesn't really support GART texturing yet.