xf86-video-ati + compiz = white or black screen

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Thu Sep 20 10:07:46 PDT 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Alex Deucher wrote:

> > I'm trying to use xf86-video-ati git HEAD head and compiz fusion
> > 0.5.5. If I start compiz --replace, I get an all white screen. If I
> > add the --use-copy parameter, I get an all black screen (with very few
> > colored garbage pixels in the top half of the screen). What could be
> > wrong. So far I could not find any xorg.conf option which has any
> > influence on this, and the only way out the web suggests is to use
> > Xgl. I don't want to resort to that because I don't like neither
> > approach nor the fglrx driver which Xgl implies. Any hint greatly
> > appreciated!
>
> what version of mesa are you using?  what is your max desktop size?
> If it's texture pressure, you can try reducing your max desktop size
> by adding a virtual line to the display subsection of the screen
> section of your display.  something like:
> Virtual 1400 1050
> or
> Virtual 1024 768
> depending on what size screen you have.

I'm using Mesa git HEAD. Desktop size is 1400x1050 but I also tried
reducing it according to your hint - to no avail. I'm quite at a loss
here. What possibilities are there to debug such issues? What could
possibly cause a white screen? In fact, I believe compiz is actually
running. I can see the mouse change if its over a terminal, and I can
ctrl-c compiz to close it. DRI/GL is definitely up and running
(glxgears, ppracer, GE).

What I also found out with ppracer is that with FBTexPercent=0, OpenGL
is considerably faster but some textures are broken. With
FBTexPercent=50 the rendering is very jerky, but looks better.

Thanks
Marius