[radeonhd] Necessary for 3D

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Oct 2 08:58:45 PDT 2007

On Oct 01, 07 11:25:16 +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> Syren Baran wrote:
> >since i´m not too deep into X, could someone tell me which functions
> >have to be implemented before its possible to get a kernel module going?
> >BTW, are there already any documents released which document the
> >necessary registers?

No. Waiting for them here as well.
The DRM module is probably the smallest thing, and deeply interwoven
with the X module and the Mesa driver. With the ATI architecture it
might be that we could even work w/o a kernel module and be secure (I
have some ideas for that), but this is pure guesswork w/o register
documentation.

> Anyway i believe that with minimum hack you can use the
> radeon(r300) drm driver and mesa r300 driver to have 3D,

Let's wait and see what type of 3D engine r5xx and r6xx use. Maybe it's
related, maybe it's completely new.

?

> On side note my opinion on this is that we should start a
> brand new gallium driver with ttm from the ground but this
> might not fit Suse plan which likely need to support older
> X & kernel (i am so sorry for you ;)).

We haven't decided on a memory manager yet. ttm is certainly something
to consider, but I haven't looked much at it (or alternatives) yet.

Whether Gallium is an option or not is also not decided yet. But that
could be changed later on as well. But until some 3D sees the light of
the day, it's probably decided by the community.

My 2 cents

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __