[radeonhd] Necessary for 3D

Syren Baran sbaran at gmx.de
Thu Oct 4 15:22:09 PDT 2007

Am Dienstag, den 02.10.2007, 17:58 +0200 schrieb Matthias Hopf:
> On Oct 01, 07 11:25:16 +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> > Syren Baran wrote:
> > >since i´m not too deep into X, could someone tell me which functions
> > >have to be implemented before its possible to get a kernel module going?
> > >BTW, are there already any documents released which document the
> > >necessary registers?
>
> No. Waiting for them here as well.
> The DRM module is probably the smallest thing, and deeply interwoven
> with the X module and the Mesa driver.
I already figured that out by myself.
>  With the ATI architecture it
> might be that we could even work w/o a kernel module and be secure (I
> have some ideas for that), but this is pure guesswork w/o register
> documentation.
Interresting.
I personaly dont know how the ATI architecture differs that a kernel
module might be unnecesarry. Fglrx also uses a kernel module.
That said i havent looked that deep into the existing modules to give a
qualified opinion.

> > On side note my opinion on this is that we should start a
> > brand new gallium driver with ttm from the ground but this
> > might not fit Suse plan which likely need to support older
> > X & kernel (i am so sorry for you ;)).
>
> We haven't decided on a memory manager yet. ttm is certainly something
> to consider, but I haven't looked much at it (or alternatives) yet.
>
> Whether Gallium is an option or not is also not decided yet. But that
> could be changed later on as well. But until some 3D sees the light of
> the day, it's probably decided by the community.

I´ll invest a couple of hours now and then. Been a while since i last
did low level gfx card stuff and 3D, but i hope i´ll be able to
contribute a bit more than just some pci-ids.

> My 2 cents
>
> Matthias

Syren