Fixing a bug in Synaptics driver but autogen ignores prefix

Andrea G. Monaco monacoandrea94 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 01:17:53 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to understand and maybe fix a slightly annoying bug in the
Synaptics driver 1.9.1: sometimes the touchpad cursor on my Acer Aspire
E15 starts flickering or clicking furiously or stops; at times resetting
the touchpad (using the Fn keys) is enough to solve the problem, other
times I need to reboot the server.

Anyway, I'm configuring xf86-input-synaptics module with
--prefix=/usr/local (which is the default prefix by the way) and after 'export
PREFIX=/usr/local', but make install insists on installing a header file under
/usr/include, which I don't like because it would overwrite the already
existing one.

Is this behavior expected? I'm no expert in X, so please be patient if
my question sounds dumb. Also I found a bug report about xkb ignoring
prefix too.
If it's a bug in the autotools setup I can work on it.

Warmly,
Andrea G. Monaco