Fixing a bug in Synaptics driver but autogen ignores prefix

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Nov 30 05:26:58 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 02:17:53AM +0100, Andrea G. Monaco wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I'm trying to understand and maybe fix a slightly annoying bug in the
> Synaptics driver 1.9.1: sometimes the touchpad cursor on my Acer Aspire
> E15 starts flickering or clicking furiously or stops; at times resetting
> the touchpad (using the Fn keys) is enough to solve the problem, other
> times I need to reboot the server.
>
> Anyway, I'm configuring xf86-input-synaptics module with
> --prefix=/usr/local (which is the default prefix by the way) and after 'export
> PREFIX=/usr/local', but make install insists on installing a header file under
> /usr/include, which I don't like because it would overwrite the already
> existing one.
>
> Is this behavior expected? I'm no expert in X, so please be patient if
> my question sounds dumb. Also I found a bug report about xkb ignoring
> prefix too.
> If it's a bug in the autotools setup I can work on it.

see configure.ac, the headers are installed into the 'sdkdir':

# X Server SDK location is required to install Synaptics header files
# This location is also relayed in the xorg-synaptics.pc file
sdkdir=`$PKG_CONFIG --variable=sdkdir xorg-server`
AC_SUBST([sdkdir])

I don't think there's a configure flag for it but you can hack around that
locally.

Cheers,
   Peter