FOSS.in Call for Participation

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jun 27 09:25:55 PDT 2012

On 06/27/12 07:44 AM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> If someone in the region wanted to present on a topic related to the
> free graphics stack (X.Org, Mesa, DRI, Wayland, etc.) and the only
> thing stopping them was travel expenses, the X.Org Board may be willing
> to sponsor a reasonable travel budget for those who are accepted into
> the program.   (No guarantees until you actually ask us - just saying
> we're happy to discuss it, and have provided similar funding in the
> past for people who needed it to present at FOSDEM & similar venues.)

Also, we're happy to consider requests for other conferences as well, not
just the ones we publicize - if there's something to do at FISL, SCALE,
Linux Plumbers, or any other event, it can't hurt to ask the Board.

Discussion is free and easy, and there is no one-size-fits-all rule to
define what will and won't get funded - while we're not likely to spend
thousands of dollars to fly someone around the world to give a 5-minute
lightning talk or a presentation to a 50-person user group, we have spent
that much to bring together developers for a 10 person hack-a-thon.

We're also open to other proposals for things to fund to promote these
technologies, educate people about them, or recruit developers to them,
so if you've got some idea that just needs a little money, let us know,
whether it's making a bunch of Wayland Live CD's to hand out at an event,
printing up some educational materials, or something we haven't even
thought of, just ask us - the worst that happens is we say "Sorry, but
we're not going to fund that."

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com