[ANNOUNCE] xorg-sgml-doctools 1.7

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Wed Mar 30 10:21:29 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 18:59 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> Hi Gaetan,
>
> Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> (29/03/2011):
> > Gaetan Nadon (3):
> >       config: comment, minor upgrade, quote and layout configure.ac
> >       DocBook/XML: add support for docbook external references
> >       Version bump: 1.7
>
> building an updated package, a few new files come up, which have a
> surprising name:
> | dh_install --fail-missing
> | dh_install: usr/share/sgml/X11/xorg-fo.xsl exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere
> | dh_install: usr/share/sgml/X11/xorg-xhtml.xsl exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere

Both of these are new files, replacing xorg.xsl

> | dh_install: usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.txt.xml exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere
> | dh_install: usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.pdf.xml exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere
> | dh_install: usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.ps.xml exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere
> | dh_install: usr/share/sgml/X11/dbs/masterdb.html.xml exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere
> | dh_install: missing files, aborting
>
> (dh_install warns us about the new files)
>
> Do we really have a .xml per output format?

This is correct. There has to be one master db per format. It points to
a real filename such as secint.html, secint.pdf, etc...

> On a related note, I've been killing (not shipping) *.xml files which
> get make install'ed in other packages (along with *.pdf, *.html, *.txt)
> but I think I forgot to ask you whether they could be useful for some
> purposes. Is there any point in shipping them? If not, what about
> stopping make install'ing them?

I am not sure if you are talking about the .xml alone, or if you are
also talking about the html/pdf/ps/txt output formats.
The .xml for DocBook.xml is both an input format (someone types in
modification) and an output format (the file is read
by a human being). For example, gnome-help can read DocBook/XML and so
can some editors. This is why it is installed.
I had the same impression a while back. It has a dual role.

Thanks for asking. In xorg-docs and any other modules with DocBook
documents, a couple of new files will get generated
and installed. They are *.fo.db and *.html.db. Check the README in
xorg-sgml-doctools, I tried to explain some of these.
So I can remember in a few weeks from now :-)